Books on Indian Flora and Fauna
I have tried to compile a collection of quality Indian flora and fauna books on this page. These books give an extensive insight into India's incredible biodiversity.
If you wish to order any of the books please click on the bookcover images to order via Amazon.co.uk.
Wild Tigers of Bandhavgarh
- Wild Tigers of Bandhavgarh: Encounters in a Fragile Forest
I strongly recommend this book to anyone interested in tigers and their natural habitat. The reader can enjoy a fascinating virtual tour of the enchanting Bandhavgarh National Park and get to understand its fragile flora and fauna. The innumerable photographs are wonderful and detailed. This book gave me the inspiration to visit Bandhavgarh. The tiger's plight is very tragic and drastic steps are needed in order to save the diminishing wild tiger population from becoming extinct.
- A very good general guide on Indian wildlife. Many photos are included in this guide. The major national parks are explained in detail and include maps.
Tiger Forest: A Visual Study of Ranthambore National Park
- This book seems to have got raving reviews!
Tiger: The Ultimate Guide by Valmik Thapar
Land of the Tiger: Natural History of the Indian Subcontinent
The Great Indian Elephant Book: An Anthology of Writings on Elephants in the Raj
- A Frontline book review on The Great Indian Elephant Book >>
Elephas Maximus: A Portrait of the Indian Elephant
- A Frontline book review on Elephas Maximus >>
The Living Elephants: Evolutionary Ecology, Behaviour, and Conservation
Birds and Mammals of Ladakh
- Birds and Mammals of Ladakh review >>
City Forest: Mumbai's National Park
- Also known as Borivli National Park, this 103 square km protected area of wilderness amidst a megapolis of 18 million people is quite unique in the world. Enroaching is a problem here, as in many other national parks and sanctuaries of India. The biodiversity of this park is remarkable to say the least.
Trees of India
- Trees of India review >>
Common Indian Wild Flowers
- Common Indian Wild Flowers review >>
The Book of Indian Birds
- The Book of Indian Birds (no image available) >>
This hardcover is an Indian avian fan's must buy giving details of 538 bird species. Now in its thirteenth edition, with 64 colour plates. India's "birdman", Dr. Salim Ali, published the first edition in 1941.
Handbook of the Birds of India and Pakistan (Ten Volumes)
- Handbook of the Birds of India and Pakistan: Together with Those of Bangladesh, Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan and Sri Lanka: Vol 1-10 [BOX SET]
Publication date: January 2002, 3121 pages in 10 volumes.
More books written by Dr. Salim Ali
- More books written by Dr. Salim Ali >>